It’s officially here! WeightWatchers is ending the Personal Points and will now offer an “updated” points® program.
When will the UPDATED WeightWatchers points® plan roll out?
If you live in the United States, the WeightWatchers points® plan will be available on the WW app as of Monday, November 14, 2022.
Will the WeightWatchers app automatically update with this points® plan?
Yes! Starting at 9:00 AM (EST) on Monday, November 14, 2022, if you are a current Weight Watcher member in the United States, you will be given the option to opt in to the new Weight Watchers plan on the WW app. If you are logged into your WW app and haven’t received a notification-try logging out of the app and logging back in.
TIP: If that does not work and you still don’t receive this notification (which says “We’ve simplified the program to make it easier for you to succeed”); I recommend uninstalling the app and reinstalling the WW app on your device. Once your app is reinstalled-log back into the WW app and you should receive this notification.
( Note: this is for any current WeightWatchers members located in the United States)
For anyone wanting to join or rejoin WeightWatchers you will automatically be enrolled in the new points® plan-and you will NOT have the option for the Personal Points plan. After you join, you’ll answer a few quick questions in the Weight Watchers app and receive a nutrition plan and daily and weekly points® to “spend.”
If I live in Canada or outside of the United States, will the new points® program be rolled out the same time?
From what I’ve been told, Canada and other countries will launch the points® plan by the end of the November.
What is the updated WeightWatchers plan called?
The updated WeightWatchers plan will be known as: WeightWatchers Points® Program
If don’t opt in to the new WeightWatchers Points® plan can I choose to stay on Personal Points indefinitely?
You can continue to stay with Personal Points ONLY until December 11th, if you are still a WeightWatchers member on December 12th, you will automatically be switched to the new Points® program.
What is WeightWatchers about?
- Focused on weight-loss or weight management
- Points® system– the points takes a food’s specific nutritional info and turns it into a single number.
- Helps us make healthier choices-the points® guide you to eat more nutritious foods and help you find portion sizes that are right for you.
- Nutrition made simple-Life is complicated—healthy eating shouldn’t be. Their system and plan make it easier.
- Community-whether it’s face to face or virtual workshops-there is a huge community to help support you in your wellness journey. You DON’T have to do it alone. They have expert coaches and millions of members who understand weight loss and are here to support you—online or in person.
- It’s NOT a quick fix-It isn’t a diet pill or prepackaged meals. The nutritional and behavioral science behind the plan/program will help you change your relationship with food for weight loss!
What does the WeightWatchers Points® system entail?
- Simplified-Cookie-cutter programs don’t cut it—customization does. If you are diabetic they have a tailored food plan for you-that’s right-according to the American Diabetes Association, in the U.S. alone, nearly 27 million adults have been diagnosed with diabetes and there is a high correlation between obesity and Type 2 diabetes.
- Science –Your metabolic rate and daily point allowance are determined and calculated based off gender, age, current weight, and height.
- Tracking your food on the WW App-It’s scientifically proven: Tracking is the biggest predictor of weight loss, because it takes you from eating on autopilot to eating with awareness. Tracking has helped millions of members master portion sizes, turn mindless snacking into mindful snacking, and plan ahead so they can fit in their favorite foods. Access your plan and Points Budget; food, water, activity, sleep, and weight trackers (plus blood sugar tracking for those on the diabetes-tailored plan).
- Encourages fitness activity-earn fitness points for being active.
- Zero deprivation-You will be given a daily and weekly point allowance! Cook your favorite meals. Go to brunch, happy hour, and parties. Just like with this current program-nothing is off-limits, and there are no restrictive rules—just balance. Simply track, live, and lose the weight you want.
- Focus on the inside out-Joining WW is not just about eating better and moving more. Losing weight is about being in the right frame of mind. You’ll still develop skills and techniques that will help shift your mindset for weight loss success.
- Food algorithm-the algorithm factors in even more nutritional elements to guide you toward foods higher in unsaturated fats, fiber, and protein and lower in added sugars and saturated fats.
- Zero Point Food Heros– zero point foods make the program flexible while guiding you toward healthier eating habits, so you’ve got options for incorporating these MVPs into your day.
What are the zero point foods on the WeightWatchers Points® system?
These zero point foods are packed with vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients (like fiber and protein), these everyday foods support feelings of fullness, helping you make the most of your Points Budget and lose weight without feeling hungry.
The Zero Point Food Hero’s include:
- Non-starchy veggies
- Fat-free plain yogurt, non fat Greek yogurt, and fat free cottage cheese
- Fish and shellfish
- Tofu and tempeh
- Corn and popcorn
- Beans, peas, and lentils
These zero point foods are recommended by national and international nutrition guidelines (including those by the World Health Organization) as part of a healthy pattern of eating. And, of course, they’re delicious!
Here are a few delicious Zero Point recipes that will help you be successful on your wellness journey:
- Zero Point Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Plain Jane Cheesecake
- Zero Point Crustless Pumpkin Pie
- Zero Point Marinara Sauce
- Zero Point Apple Butter
- Zero Point Creamy Jalapeño Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Zero Point Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Zero Point Pumpkin Butter
- Zero Point Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas
- Zero Point Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
I love how WeightWatchers gives us suggestions on ways to eat the zero heroes; by suggesting we:
- Create a base. Start with a ZeroPoint food, like savory turkey meatballs or spaghetti squash, then add other ingredients that have Points values (such as your favorite sauce, cheese, a slice of garlic bread) to build your meal.
- Pump up a dish. Toss ZeroPoint foods, like crisp mixed veggies or hearty lentils, into soups, stews, or pastas to make meals more filling and add variety and flavor.
- Tame hunger. ZeroPoint foods are ideal go-to snacks when your stomach is grumbling or you want to avoid that hangry feeling. Grab some crunchy popcorn or a hard boiled egg, while you’re heading out for the day!
I’m concerned with overeating on Zero Point foods?
If you’re concerned about overeating ZeroPoint foods because they’re, well, zero, here’s some guidance: Eat them in your usual portion sizes. For example, if you usually have two eggs for breakfast, stick to that. If you’re still hungry later, have another one. You’ll soon figure out the right portion for you—which might differ depending on the day!
What is their tailored plan for those with diabetes?
If you are diabetic, the ZeroPoint foods list will include foods less likely to impact your blood sugar level. The plan will show you how to enjoy fruit, whole grains, and dairy in a way that’s best for you.
- After joining WeightWatchers, the WeightWatchers app will ask you a few questions, including whether you live with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. If you say yes, their nutritionists know to create a food plan that takes your unique health needs into account.
- You’ll get a custom-designed plan-their nutritionists also consider your weight, height, and sex (which help us calculate your metabolic rate) to tailor your very own food plan with no-track, no-measure foods that are less likely to raise blood sugar.
- Use Points®, however you’d like -Points tally up complex nutritional data into one simple number. It’s like a financial budget, but with food—you spend, you add, you spend some more! But it’s not just set there. It’s built to be flexible for special occasions, favorite meals, and more. Plus, Points guide you toward foods with higher protein, higher fiber, and lower added sugar. These foods are less likely to cause spikes in blood sugar.
- Track your blood sugar-this simple tool in the WW app helps you manually track your blood sugar—allowing you to see patterns and changes in blood sugar over time.
- Feel confident that you’re on a science-backed program
Your plan is carefully designed with diabetes in mind and based on recommendations from the American Diabetes Association and the International Diabetes Federation.
- Form good-for-you habits – their program helps you eat healthier, drink more water, and get active—all behaviors that help with managing blood sugar. Plus, find delicious recipes in the app (thousands tailored to be appropriate for diabetes) to help you live your plan!
- Stay supported -Most weight-loss plans don’t understand what it’s like to live with diabetes. With our members-only Living with Diabetes Connect group, you’ll feel like part of a community who gets it.
Aren’t excited about the updated plan?
It’s completely understandable to be anxious or unsure of a new WeightWatchers program. I have been a WeightWatchers member for over 22 years and I know change is not always easy-but I also know change can be a good thing!
Personally, I’m looking forward to SOMETHING NEW and EXCITED to see the success I will have with this new plan. I lost 75 pounds while following the Freestyle program and I became a lifetime member while following the MyWW Blue plan-so I’m eager to start this updated Points® system.
Will Pound Dropper’s recipes be updated with the new plan and will the recipe posts still have a direct link to the WeightWatchers app?
Yes! Every Pound Dropper recipe will continue to provide the point values. In addition, I will provide a direct link to the WW app and the nutritional information for every recipe. That means, if you are not a current WW member and use a different food tracking app such as MyfitnessPal, Healthi, or LoseIt you’ll still be able to track my recipes using the nutritional information that is found at the bottom of each recipe post.
All Pound Dropper recipes will be updated to reflect the new WW points program-if you are a WW member and have been using the WW app-the GREAT NEWS is-all of your recipes and foods that you tracked into the WW app have been converted over to the new point plan-so you’ll already know the point values for your favorite Pound Dropper recipes, if you’ve made them before!
How do I track Pound Dropper recipes in my WW app?
You will be able to track each Pound Dropper recipe in the WW app by accessing the RED link button that is located at the bottom of every Pound Dropper recipe. You’ll first need to sign into your WW account and then the recipe builder will upload. You will be able to save and track the recipe directly from here. The WW recipe builder is the most accurate way to create, obtain, and track the Points®
What do you think about this updated WeightWatchers Points® system?
I would love to hear your thoughts! Leave me comment and tell me-Are you ready for a change? What will you miss or won’t miss about PersonalPoints?
Disclaimer-I am not affiliated with WeightWatchers and the information I have shared on this post was given to me by a reliable source who may or may not have associations with Weight Watchers.