Will Weight Watchers be changing the PersonalPoints™ this year?
Yes, it’s true! Weight Watchers will be launching a new food program/plan mid-November 2022!
Why is Weight Watchers changing the PersonalPoints™ program?
Every two years, Weight Watchers releases a new and updated food program or plan. However, it’s only been ONE year since Weight Watchers released PersonalPoints™-so why are they making changes sooner than normal?
That’s a great question! Typically, they make a few minor changes to the program once a year, without rolling out a whole new program. This move in rolling out a new food plan or program is unexpected and will come as surprise for many Weight Watchers members.
With that said, part of the reason for the company’s success is that they consistently evolve and change their diet plan as new research comes out along with feedback that they receive from their members.
What makes WW the leading weight loss program?
There are many food tracking apps such as MyfitnessPal, Healthi, or LoseIt and in order to stay competitive with these food tracking apps-Weight Watchers takes leadership and credibility in science when it comes to their competitors. Weight loss and wellness is the key competitive advantage and a key driver in building momentum and so by making changes to their program it keeps them at the top.
Here are a few key advantages that make Weight Watchers successful:
- Weight Watchers ranked #1 (tied) in Best Weight-Loss Diets overall, out of 40 diets evaluated by U.S. News and their expert panelists. They define healthy long-term weight loss as the likelihood of maintaining weight loss for two years or more, based on available evidence.
- Weight Watchers expert-led virtual and in-person workshops provide practical tools and behavior-change techniques.
- Weight Watchers is the number one doctor recommended weight loss program.
- Weight Watchers was ranked #5 in Best Diets Overall.
- Weight Watchers scored the highest for overall weight loss and fast weight loss, and experts say it’s a smart, effective diet, according to Health US News.
- Research suggests Weight Watchers helps lower bad LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels – both risk factors for heart disease.
- Weight Watchers scientists specialize in behavior change, behavioral economics, clinical research, nutrition, and exercise science.
- Weight Watchers is focused on innovation-digital and the consumer journey.
- Weight Watchers provides guidance, motivation, and has a strong support network with coaches and fellow group members.
What do we know about the new WW program:
UPDATE: As of November 14, 2022, the new Weight Watcher plan is called the Points® system. You can read more about the new Points® system HERE.
It is similar to the Weight Watchers Freestyle plan that was in rolled out in 2017-2018 and the MyWW Blue program that was rolled out in 2019-2020.
Here’s what the new plan will entail:
- It will be simplified-the new plan will be the same for everyone unless you are a diabetic, and those who are diabetic they will have a tailored food plan for you-that’s right-according to the American Diabetes Association, in the U.S. alone, nearly 27 million adults have been diagnosed with diabetes and there is a high correlation between obesity and Type 2 diabetes, a tailored food plan for people with diabetes, Weight Watchers will aim to better serve this population with their science-based effective and proven program.
- You will NO LONGER earn extra points® for eating non-starchy vegetables or for drinking water.
- It will encourage fitness activity-you WILL STILL earn fitness points for being active.
- There is science behind it-your daily point allowance will be determined and calculated based off gender, age, current weight, and height.
- Zero deprivation-You will be given a daily and weekly point allowance! Cook your favorite meals. Go to brunch, happy hour, and parties. Just like with this current program-nothing is off-limits, and there are no restrictive rules—just balance. Simply track, live, and lose the weight you want.
- Focus on the inside out-Joining WW is not just about eating better and moving more. Losing weight is about being in the right frame of mind. You’ll still develop skills and techniques that will help shift your mindset for weight loss success.
- Food algorithm-which is used to calculate points will stay the same-the algorithm factors in even more nutritional elements to guide you toward foods higher in unsaturated fats, fiber, and protein and lower in added sugars and saturated fats.
What about zero point foods? Will they still have them?
Yes! Just like Weight Watchers other Points™ system, Weight Watchers looks at calories and big-picture, complex nutrient data to create a food’s point value.
With the NEW program, a lot of your favorite foods are still on the menu.
Here’s a sneak peek at the ZeroPoint foods:
- Non-starchy veggies
- Non fat yogurt & non fat cottage cheese
- Fish & shellfish
- Skinless/boneless chicken & turkey breast
- Tofu & tempeh
- Corn & popcorn
- Beans, peas, & lentils
These foods are recommended by national and international guidelines (including the World Health Organization) as a part of a healthy pattern of eating. And of course, they’re delicious!
That’s how Weight Watchers landed on fruits, non-starchy veggies, chicken and turkey breast, fish/shellfish, beans, peas, lentils, tofu and tempeh, non fat Greek or plain yogurt, non fat cottage cheese, corn, popcorn, and eggs.
Here’s a list of my most popular Zero Point recipes that will help you be successful on your wellness journey:
- Zero Point Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Plain Jane Cheesecake
- Zero Point Crustless Pumpkin Pie
- Zero Point Marinara Sauce
- Zero Point Apple Butter
- Zero Point Creamy Jalapeño Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Zero Point Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Zero Point Pumpkin Butter
- Zero Point Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas
- Zero Point Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
When will PersonalPoints™ be ending?
The new program will go into effect in mid-November and the Personal Points on the WW app will no longer be available come January 1st.
Weight Watchers will begin to make changes to the WW app and by the time the new plan rolls out the WW app will reflect those changes.
Is this a rumor? How do you know this is happening?
While there is no press release or formal announcements from Weight Watchers, there has been insights shared from Weight Watchers employees, stating Weight Watchers is making changes to the current Personal Points program.
Several months ago, Weight Watchers reached out to a select group of Weight Watchers members asking them to be in a pilot program-this typically means they are testing out a new plan.
Weight Watchers has been discounting and/or giving away merchandise associated with the PersonalPoints plan-which if we are making speculations based off history-this has been an indicator that a new plan is in the works.
Will Pound Dropper’s recipes be updated with the new plan and will the recipe posts still have a direct link to the WW app?
Yes! Every Pound Dropper recipe will continue to provide the point values. In addition, I will provide a direct link to the WW app and the nutritional information for every recipe. That means, if you are not a current WW member and use a different food tracking app such as MyfitnessPal, Healthi, or LoseIt you’ll still be able to track my recipes using the nutritional information that is found at the bottom of each recipe post.
All Pound Dropper recipes will be updated to reflect the new WW points program-if you are a WW member and have been using the WW app-the GREAT NEWS is-all of your recipes and foods that you tracked into the WW app have been converted over to the new point plan-so you’ll already know the point values for your favorite Pound Dropper recipes, if you’ve made them before!
Aren’t excited about the new Points plan?
It’s completely understandable to be anxious or unsure of a new Weight Watchers program. I have been a Weight Watchers member for over 22 years and I know change is not always easy-but I also know change can be a good thing!
Personally, I’m looking forward to SOMETHING NEW and EXCITED to see the success I will have with this new plan. I lost 75 pounds while following the Freestyle program and I became a lifetime member while following the MyWW Blue plan-so I’m eager to try something similar!
I would love to hear your thoughts! Leave me comment and tell me-Are you ready for a change? What will you miss or won’t miss about PersonalPoints?
Disclaimer-I am not affiliated with Weight Watchers and the information I have shared on this post was given to me by a reliable source who may or may not have associations with Weight Watchers.
Be sure to subscribe to my free emails so you don’t miss out on updates and/or new recipes.
Click HERE to subscribe!
Click HERE to read more about the new points plan.
Tuesday 14th of February 2023
I am sorry we're no longer counting water and veggies as an incentive. That was very motivational for me. Other than that, I'm okay with the new plan, although I do feel I need to re-check all the point values again, as many not mentioned seem to have changed.
Friday 6th of January 2023
I’ve read most of the previous comments on this site about moving from Personal points plan to the new one. I was so surprised to see the same thoughts as myself: - think new plan going backwards; too restrictive. - eliminating incentive ( getting additional daily point) for eating more veggies and drinking more water. Seems new plan is just handing out participating trophys. - the potato issue mentioned. I am not happy with potatoes (and many other starchy) now being a lot of points. - loved my 48 pd weight loss since end March 2022. Slow and steady. Was VERY happy with progress and program and even encouraged other weight loss seekers to check WW out- I raved about the program. No more. Have seriously thought about leaving WW and looking for something else. So disappointing.
Monday 2nd of January 2023
I absolutely loved the plan of long ago it was very strict and you certainly count have zero point foods ! It was not easy but I don’t care what anybody says losing weight takes sacrifice and discipline ! You could lose the weight and be on your way now it appears to be long and drawn out to keep people coming forever … also I do not like them pushing all the boxes snacks .. yes you use to be able to buy some great frozen foods in years past but now it seems that the boxes fiords have taken over … I am not trying to be negative but I would rejoin if you had a three month intense get it gone plan! You couldn’t even have a banana on the old plan and now you can eat all you want .. ridiculous
Saturday 21st of January 2023
@Barbara Planz, Yes I was on the 123 success plan years ago.All we got was starch free veggies for zero points,a few condiments and zero sugar drinks.I lost 15 kgs and I was happy.
Sunday 1st of January 2023
As a fussy vegetarian, your last plan, gave me a lot of options for zero point foods … I don’t eat most of the zero point proteins now - time to look elsewhere
Saturday 31st of December 2022
I get frustrated with the constant changes. I reached goal with Smart Points but could never lose weight when they added "free food".